NEW MUMS! Save your back while you feed your baby…
A very common complaint I hear from new breast feeding Mum’s is that they’re suffering from neck & upper back pain or tension.
Follow these simple tips to help alleviate your symptoms:
- Sit on a comfortable, supportive chair with a small pillow wedged in the small of your back: This will force your belly to stick out & allow your upper back to contact the chair.
(This is also a great posture for Mums with a rapid milk flow)
- Put your feet up: This will encourage you to sit back and not hunch forward.
- Support your neck and relax so that you’re not causing excess strain on the muscles in your neck and shoulders.
- Try feeding whilst lying on your side and support yourself with plenty of pillows.
- And finally, if wanting to avoid neck pain isn’t motivation enough, here are some other reasons you should correct your feeding posture:
- it helps to aid your milk flow to prevent duct blockage, and mastitis.
- your baby will find it easier to latch on, making feeding more comfortable for you both.
- it prevents chronic problems of muscle fatigue in your shoulders and neck.
Share these simple tips with your friends and help others stop feeling pain.